- Community Education and Metro South programs
- Bloomington Career and College Academy (BCCA)
- Bloomington Transition Center (BTC)
You are here
Water Safety Classes
Opportunity for FREE Training - Possible Employment!
Water Safety Aide (WSA)
The purpose of the Water Safety Aide course is to provide training for individuals who wish to assist Water Safety Instructors (WSI) in conducting swimming lessons.
Individuals must be:
- At least 12 years of age or older
- Exhibit a strong sense of maturity
- Leadership skills
Aide candidates must be able to demonstrate all the skills required for LEVEL 6. Bring a swim suit, towel and lunch.
Water Safety Instructor
This course trains instructor candidates to teach the American Red Cross Learn-to-Swim and other water safety programs.
- On the first day, you must be able to pass a swimming stroke test.
- Attendance is mandatory to all class sessions.
- Be prepared to be both in and out of the water each day of the class.
- Students must complete the online portion of the course (7-9 hours) in addition to participating in the classroom and water skill sessions.
Junior Lifeguarding - Guard Start: Lifeguarding Tomorrow
American Red Cross Guard Start: Lifeguarding Tomorrow is designed to prepare 11 to 14 year olds to take Red Cross Lifeguarding certification programs and for future work as a lifeguard.
The Guard Start program helps participants build a foundation of knowledge, attitudes and skills that they will need to be responsible lifeguards. Lessons are grouped into five main areas: prevention, fitness, response, leadership and professionalism. Textbook included. This class is offered during "Summer SLAM".
Opportunity for FREE Training and Possible Employment!
American Red Cross Lifeguarding Training
This comprehensive course is designed to instruct course participants in the skills and knowledge needed to become a lifeguard. Course candidates will learn how to recognize, prevent, and respond quickly to aquatic emergencies. The course also instructs participants in CPR for the Professional Rescuer, AED and First Aid. Participants will receive the certifications listed above, mentioned materials upon completion of attending all class sessions, passing all written exams, water skills and tests. Prerequisites:
- Participants must be 16 years of age or older
- Ability to pass pretest. Pretest of 300 yard swim using front crawl with rhythmic breathing and breaststroke. (Must swim 300 yards continuously)
- Swim 20 yards using front crawl or breaststroke, surface dive 7 – 10 feet retrieve 10 pound brick, return to surface, swim 20 yards back to starting point with object, and exit the water without using a ladder or steps, within 1 minute and 40 seconds.
- Certifications received upon completion of course objectives and passing score of 80 percent correct of course final exam.
Lifeguarding and First Aid certifications are valid for three years. CPR-PR, AED are valid for one year.
We are hiring all the time for the positions of Water Safety Instructors and Lifeguards. To apply visit: applitrack